Tuesday, May 22, 2007

So Many People, So Many Places - Abdominal & DJ Fase
















Abdominal & DJ Fase: A Tale Of Two Bitties & Sewmehnee (Times Fly)
taken from Flowtation Device (PIAS, 2004)

Although groups like J5 and Ugly Duckling often come under fire as a result of their soft image and clear audience accessibility, I'm not ashamed to admit that I like both of them, albeit in small doses. OK, so their music isn't exactly going to set the world on fire, but it is good, clean hip hop that effectively draws on the past and incorporates it into their upbeat party aesthetic without too many cringe-worthy moments and with the undeniable ability to put a shuffle in your step and a smile across your face (come on, admit it). Abdominal and DJ Fase, despite lacking the commercial successes of the aforementioned crews, clearly embrace a similar ethos and I would argue deliver it with just as much style and perhaps a little more substance than either J5 or Ugly Duckling on their debut release, 'Flowtation Device'.

I first came across the duo during my first year of university when I heard 'Fly Antics' on the compilation album put together by the legendary London hip hop night 'Scratch'. I instantly liked its incorporation of well-delivered rhymes, beats, scratch sections and beatbox breaks, and the track became a relatively widely known cut despite Abdominal and Fase's lack of reputation at this stage. I don't quite know what happened in the intervening five years between this and the album's release, but I assume that the same old industry issues may have gotten in the way (or perhaps they just really didn't want to rush it). Around the same time, Abdominal began teaming up with Brighton's DJ Format, and they toured relatively extensively across the UK in the lead up to Format's own debut LP, 'Music For The Mature B-Boy'. Their live show was excellent: filled with energy and with the clear intent to ensure everyone had a good time (Abdominal used to do a helium balloon/'Fly Antics' instrumental at 45rpm routine that was funny as well as technically impressive), and that's more than can be said for a lot of well-established crews that I have seen over the years.

DJ Format feat. MC Abdominal: The Hit Song




[This is taken from Format's 'Music For The Mature B-Boy' release.]

The reason that 'Flowtation Device' succeeds in my book is that it does a pretty good job of delivering worthwhile content with both beats and rhymes. Fase's production style is nothing ground-breaking, but it is littered with enough original touches to make it feel lively and engaging. 'Sewmehnee (Times Fly)' is a case in point with its interesting drum track, subtle vocal loop floating behind Abdominal's chorus hook and the brief moment just before the two minute mark where the cut grinds to a steady halt only to wind back up into the groove ten seconds later. It's a classy and infectious piece of production work that demonstrates more thought and care than the standard four bar loop, bassline and heavy drums formula, and is a good example of the subtleties of Fase's work behind the boards across the album as a whole.

Abdominal's vocal delivery on the album is impressive, and although I am not entirely convinced by his voice in itself, he does enough with dexterity and subject matter to make up for shortcomings elsewhere. Topics covered include his love for greasy fast food, the complexities of a man's approach to a long-term relationship, odes to his girlfriend and the odd bragging verse for good measure. He is an accomplished narrative spinner who is able to incorporate humour, intelligence and honesty into his words without seeming too try-hard, and the result is a varied and original set of verses that are undeniably enjoyable. At times it does verge on the corny: I like the beat on 'Elizabeth', but Abdominal's sung lyrics are hard to take even if the sentiment behind the track is heart-warming (the guy loves his girlfriend; ain't nothing wrong with that).

If you are solely intent on pulling your finest screwface and throwing your hands in the air only to find yourself waving them around like you just don't care, then 'Flowtation Device' is perhaps best avoided. However, if you feel like a break from slammin' snares and uncompromising street narratives then there may be something of interest for you here. This is unlikely to be an album that receives heavy rotation in your stereo, but for those moments when you do dust it down and throw it on, you will be rewarded with happy, upbeat and mature hip hop music that is capable of the near impossible feat of getting your head nodding whilst warming your soul. Hats off to that.

Request Alert!

With my current obsession with 'Nostalgia' I'm rediscovering my love for Masta Ace, so any 12'' rips will be gratefully received (don't worry about the LPs). I'm also interested in hearing the Marley Marl produced Sah-B vinyl single entitled 'Summa Day b/w Some Ol' Sah-B Shit'. Thank you in advance...

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hip hop audience can be really dumb. There's nothing wrong with uptempo beats and party rhymes. Wasn't hip hop about partying in the firts place ?

DL said...

Yea exactly, I think there is something about releases from these sort of guys that does capture the 'essence' of hip hop: the party. For that reason, they should be celebrated.

Cheers

Dan

alley al said...

well that's what that screwball guy sez in a portion of that interview where he bashes rawkus and such.. the one someone posted in one of your comments from another post.. i believe he was trying to dis the underground back packer cerebral lyrical types who dis the bling bling gangsta party types. like, so what if it's lame and plain and simple and talkin' bout throwin' ds and bows and spinning 24 inch rims and packing shooters with titanium & diamond enrusted handles with a matching fendi holster? it's bumpin' in the clubs and radio and it's party music!!

btw, i have the ugly ducklings and like their stuff.. but i looooove me some j5. especially the 1st & 2nd albums. it's MOSTLY happy fun shit, but chali 2na and zaakir/soup strike me more as being able to get deep & stylish much better than the rest of 'em.

DL said...

Yea I certainly like the J5 stuff more and 2na has always been the clear standout. I actually like pretty much all of the J5 albums although there are of course clear standouts. I was actually really feeling a couple of the tracks on their latest 'Feedback' release, particularly the Salaam Remi produced/Marvin Gaye sampling 'End Up Like This': it's cheesy as hell, but a great summer tune.

I forgot to thank you for that Eminem album Alley. Urr.... thanks.

Take it easy

Dan