Are You Ready To Party? Brainfreeze


To my mind, there are two types of DJ in this world. On the one hand, you have your crate diggers who rely on exceptional and original musical selections, and then on the other, you have those whose technical skill and dexterity is their defining feature. I love both with equal measure, but there are few that manage to combine the two roles with as much flava as DJ Shadow and his wild-haired partner in crime, Cut Chemist. Both are prime examples of DJs whose knowledge and material ownership of music is staggering, as well as the fact that they both possess top level skills on the cut (those sessions around Q Bert's house obviously did the trick).
The premise behind the 'Brainfreeze' release was simple. Shadow and Cut were rehearsing a 7'' only set (although a few 12''s were used as well) that was due to debut at the legendary hip hop fiesta in L.A. known as 'Future Primitive', and decided that they might as well hit the 'record' switch whilst doing so. 'Brainfreeze' is the result of two takes of rehearsal sessions, and it is a fantastic mix of soul, funk and a little hip hop (they drop 'I'm Not Playin'' in the first half of the mix) with a chunky slice of turntablism thrown in for good measure. My knowledge of the selections made is limited, but this a good times party mix that can't fail to put a smile on your face and a wiggle in that ass.
It's a shame that part of the enjoyment of this release, and those in Shadow's wider discography, are now somewhat tainted for me by the direction which he has taken in recent times. To be honest, I'm not even as bothered by the shift in musical orientation as much as I am by the attitude that he had towards it at the time of the release of 'The Outsider'. He seemed very defensive of the record, and even went as far as to suggest that he really didn't care about how existing fans felt about his new sound. I'm sure this wasn't the intention, and I can understand a knee-jerk reaction to criticism, but it leaves a slightly sour taste in my mouth when I consider the fact that Josh Davis essentially dissed some of his most long-standing followers. Maybe I'm just sore that the brilliantly atmospheric and dark, moody vibe of 'Endtroducing...' is unlikely to ever see the light of day again.
Back to the matter at hand. Amazingly, I didn't buy this when it was released as I was in a phase where myself and a friend bought a lot of music on trips out together, and this just happened to be one of the CDs that he copped and I didn't. I'm kicking myself about it now, because it's limited release and cult status mean that it is now worth a nice wad of cash, so adding it to my collection will be a struggle.
With the summer rapidly approaching, my advice is as follows. Get some friends around, bust open a crate of beers, fire up the barbeque and enjoy 'Brainfreeze' in the true context in which it was meant to be appreciated: a party.
Brainfreeze
[Shouts to my mate Tim for lending me a copy]



1 comment:
hi there...
here's the tracklist for the brainfreeze mix...
-First set-
Thunder Kick radio spot
The Jules Shattner Group-2001: A Soul Odyssey
Fried Chicken-Funky DJ
The Mohawks-The Champ
Reuben Bell-Superjock
Albert King-Cold Feet
Ultimate Force-I'm Not Playing
Eddie Bo & Inez Cheatham-Lover And A Friend
Mack Rice-Three People In Love
The Nu People-I'd Be Nowhere Today
Nu-Sound Express Ltd-Ain't It Good Enough
Mystic Moods-Cosmic Sea
American Gypsy-Inside Out
Odetta-Hit Or Miss
The Mar-Keys-Grab This Thing (Part 2)
Rusty Bryant-Fire-Eater
Simtec & Wylie-Bootleggin' (Part 2)
Wilbur Bascomb & The Zodiac-Just A Groove In "G"
Eddie Bo & The Soul Finders-We're Doin' It (Thang)(Part 2)
Rufus Thomas-Sophisticated Sissy
The Showmen Inc.-The Tramp (From Funky Broadway) (Part 1)
The Original Soul Senders-Soul Brother Testify (Part 2)
Rufus Thomas-Itch & Scratch (Part I & II)
Alvin Cash-Keep On Dancing (Instrumental)
Lou Courtney-Hey Joyce
Bummer radio spot
-Second set-
The Singing Principal-Woman's Lib
Salt-Hung Up
The Soul Lifters-Hot, Funky & Sweaty
Frankie Seay & The Soul Riders-Soul Food
The Interpretations-Jason Pew Mosso (Part 1)
Thunder & Lightning-Bumpin Bus Stop
Billy Garner-I Got Some
Pleasure Web-Music Man (Part I & II)
Gary Byrd-Soul Travelin' (The G.B.E.) (Part I)
"W" radio spot
Marlena Shaw-California Soul
Eddie Bo-From This Day On
7-Eleven-Dance The Slurp
Kraftwerk-Numbers
Flash & The Five-Flash It To The Beat
Dj Shadow-The Number Song
Pearly Queen-Quit Jivin'
Tony Alvon & The Belairs-Sexy Coffee Pot
Dj Shadow - The Number Song (Cut Chemist Remix)
Chuck Mangione-Hill Where The Lord Hides
Third Guitar-Baby Don't Cry
Don Pierce-This Funky Thing
Funka Fize-Because You're Funky
Stu Gardner-Devil In A Man
Samson & Delilah-There's A DJ In Your Town
Giorgio-Tears
Bill & Tim-PM Or Later
http://www.myspace.com/thisistomorrow74
Post a Comment