Now Who The What?! Jamal

Although I have seen this around relatively recently, it has been requested and it provides me with the opportunity to voice my opinion on the album and my somewhat controversial views about Def Squad. Originally paying his dues in kiddy rap outfit Illegal, Jamal is one of the few MCs of this ilk to have gone on to solo success. I think that 'Last Chance, No Breaks' is a solid effort, but there is something about it that means I rarely listen to it. Surprisingly, this is also the case for me with other albums from the Def Squad camp: more of that later.
The most notable single on the album is of course 'Fades Em All' which is perhaps more widely known in its 'Pete Rock Remix' format (I've included this in the zip). Both of these selections are excellent, with a different feel to them that works well in both contexts. This is matched by Jamal's verses that demonstrate an obvious maturity that was understandibly a little lacking in his Illegal days; the flow is more comfortable and accomplished. There are other choice cuts here as well. I like the laid back feeling of 'Keep It Real' with its smooth piano sample and I also like the darker 'The Game' that has a slow but seriously head noddy vibe. If you are into Def Squad then I imagine that you will appreciate the majorty of the production on this album as it is instantly recognisable as Erick Sermon or Redman's work behind the boards.
Now for the controversy. Although I own some of the seminal Def Squad releases, they have never really done that much for me. I wonder if this is perhaps because I did not have the opportunity to hear this music in the context in which it was originally released, but there has always been something about Sermon's production style that hasn't really connected with me. I want to stress that this is not an entirely educated position: I do not know this facet of hip hop music in perhaps the depth that I should. However, this in itself is indicative of the fact that I have not made the conscious effort to do so, and reflects my position on the crew's output. I think the issue lies in the sample choices and vocoder effects that just don't really do it for me. I am happy to be proven wrong and as I say this is perhaps simply due to a lack of consolidated knowledge of the crew, but still...
I'm sure that I'm going to get ripped to pieces for this... hit me up.
Last Chance, No Breaks



7 comments:
so you think e's production is weak? the funk samples used is not interpolated well?
ther are some standouts that have been played so much, or you've seen a great video, or you've seen so-n-so perform it, so those particular tracks are listenable?
oh.. wait.. that's my opinion..
lol
because i wasn't into kiddie rap either (chi-ali only got a chance cuz dres was my favorite for soooo long), abc, da youngstas, little vicious, etc, and illegal never appealed to me. i don't even like thinking of dude as part of the def squad. i think e dubble was trying to capitolize on something.
anyway, it's a given to me that redman should be featured on every rnb track. keef murray is dope. lod was aiight. pmd wasn't as good as erick. k-solo was nice. das efx still kick ass. and the doper funk tracks are the longer loops that make the song sound more musical, as opposed to just a bunch of sounds hodged-podged on a drum loop.
alas, dan, we agree on something again.
WHAT THE FUCK ARE YOU ON?!?!?!?!?!
Hahaha, nah just kidding....
I love the funk production of E Double on the first four EPMD albums, the first Erick Sermon solo album, the first Keith Murray album and the first two Redman albums. I don't care for "Muddy Waters" or "Double Or Nothing", and to me, that's when Erick Sermon started sliding into what I like to call the "Cookie Cutter" era of his beats. They all sound...."hollow" with no substance. This has plagued his later solo albums and that horrid god awful "Blackout" album that to me is the biggest disappointment in my hip hop history.
I can still listen to their stuff, but after those forementioned albums, they became just kind of run of the mill. BUT, on the strength of their first few albums (both Redmans are in my top 10 fav's, and maybe possibly top 5) they are still personal favorites of mine
I think the Def Squad catalogue contains a lot of quality stuff but I'd agree, as a whole, the 'underwhelming:special' ratio isn't great. There's a cluster of amazing work at the top end but the mode is around the mediocre mark. A shame really because the best of EPMD, Redman, Keith Murray, etc. really shows what they're capable of.
THAT 1st epmd joint is an undisputed classic!! lol i dug that and the 2nd cuz of the variations in production. please listen to my demo is some dope shit.
of course every def squad release has a couple/few standout joints, but a bunch were fast forward joints.
hey man - great blog, keep up the good work. i'm over in NYC, and Sconeboy (now living in Canada) sent me your way to check out the site. Good stuff.
this is a very underrated album from the def squad camp, this album is from jamal aka mally g,one half of the group illegal,this album is so hot the beats are hot and his wordplay is sicker than a fever,i bought this album on ebay for $1 and change,he's very lyrical and he's very underrated,my only concern is that he had some songs with like west coast scarface (the rapper) type beats and it didn't fit the album,he's more of an east coast rapper equipped with rugged beats,he's one of the illest rappers that ive heard from philly,and its sad that this album is out of print and didn't get the buzz it deserves,the production is dark too,standout tracks are situation (produced by erick sermon and rockwilder),insane creation (production by easy mo bee,one of the best beats he made,featuring redman),fades em all(produced by redman and rockwilder,one of the illest songs of the 90's),the game (produced by redman,yes the rapper he makes hot beats he shouldve kept makin beats and still rap and its also my favorite track,and the beat is dark as hell),keep it real (produced by erick sermon,nice paino sample)and finally genetic for terror (produced by redman and rocwilder,featuring Erick Sermon , Keith Murray , L.O.D. , Redman,and they all did their thing.recommended for fans of def squad,90's hip hop,east coast hip hop.don't sleep
@ Travis - I've never been convinced by the first Redman effort, although I am aware that its classic status is undisputable. Of course I like 'Time 4 Some Aksion' and 'Tonight's Da Night' but generally I'm not really that into the production... on of those things i guess.
@ alley - I do love 'listen to my demo' but as I said above, there is something about e ouble's production in general that doesn't quite grab me.
@ ross - nice to see you dropping some comments mate, much appreciated.
@ dnz - you need to get your own blog man! Good lookin'.
@ zip - 'over in NYC'... you're a lucky man. I love that place! Keep checking in.
Post a Comment