Label Politics Are A Bitch - Large Professor

I do not generally agree with posting up stuff that I do not actually physically own, as the point of the blog for me is to share things from my own personal collection with others. In doing so, it also encourages me to still go out and hunt down CDs and to avoid relying too heavily on sourcing stuff from the internet alone. Today is an exception, as Large Professor's shelved LP never received a CD release and I imagine only exists as vinyl promos or bootlegs. I also own the 'IJUSWANNACHILL' 12'' so feel that I can justify posting this up.
There isn't much to say about Large Pro that you probably don't know already. With production credits on some of the most important albums in the genre's history as well as a load of remix work he is without doubt one of the most accomplished and prolific hip hop producers of all time. Like others in this category, he has a unique and defined quality to his work that means you know you're listening to Large Pro even if you can't put into words exactly what makes the track his own. Of course, he's had his lower points as well with '1st Class' being a definite disappointment, and I wasn't really feelin' his most recent instrumental LP although haven't given it much of a chance. Still, these are small gripes with such a strong and bangin' discography. By the way, did I mention that he's pretty tight on the mic as well?
I simply cannot understand how 'The LP' was never released. Hip hop seems to have been plagued with these sort of mistakes, with Freddie Foxxx's sophomore LP receiving the same treatment as well as a whole host of quality albums that never saw the light of day. How can these record companies not have realised what they had on their hands? I think this was due to drop in '96 and easily stands up against the strongest releases of the year. There's a guest appearance from Nas that surely would have guaranteed sales and with Large Pro's track record it seems astonishing that this never got a proper release. They even made a relatively high budget looking video for 'IJUSWANNACHILL' (see below), so how could they not have taken that final step and got this out there?
Whatever the reason, Geffen made a categoric error. 'The LP' is an exceptional album that will be appreciated by any fan of the genre. Large Professor in his prime: it doesn't get much better than this.
The LP



12 comments:
What's the quality of this like please Dan?...great post as always
peace
maaan, i don't wanna start no ish..
but ijustwannachill is a terrible song!! what a sucky hook. they prolly didn't release the lp cuz this single was not strong.. in content, or it's reception, or lack thereof.
i mean, i hate to sound like a corporate idiot, but if you gonna drop an album, and you wanna tease your fans with some new ish, you wanna get 'em excited with the next ish, not this mediocre effort. how can this joint bang in a club? not that that should be the standard all the time, but that's how records were broken in..
i just came from dart's spot, and (not just him) but i wonder how the "classic" label gets on BREAKING ATOMS!? someone explain this to me, please? it's got pretty good production and decent rhymes. did this album change/impact the game in anyway?
Jaz - the quality of this is decent, better than a vinyl rip. Enjoy.
Alley - I don't know what to say. I think that we're going to have to agree to disagree here. I think 'ijuswannachill' is good; it's pretty corny but its got a warm and positive vibe about it.
Of course, artists should provide a new perspective on things as they progress through a career, but they can't forget where they have come from. Sure, this isn't necessarily club music, but it is high quality production that forms a consistent feel over an album.
Maybe I'm biased here. I think 'Breaking Atoms' is exceptional, and did bring something to the genre. The production was ahead of its time and there were some bangers on there: 'Peace Is Not The Word To Play', 'Looking At The Front Door', 'Live At The Barbeque', 'Snake Eyes'... you can't front on that selection. There was also a consistency here that is rare on hip hop albums.
Thanks for the comment, enjoy a little bit of debate. Laters.
Dan
IJUSWANNACHILL is a great track, whats alley al talking about?!?!?!
Dope...and you know what, that is my fave ever Large Pro pic, I had it as my screen saver once.
gawd!! the track is nice. but doesn't the hook bother anyone? i just remember when me and a bunch of kids heard it together the first time it dropped on the radio, and we all wondered what extra p was doing trying to come back with that. we had a "talk" similar to this post/comments afterwards..
do you have a good quality version of 'Sunrise' please Dan?...
I loved that joint
never mind Dan...I see it's "Listen Up"...I wish that joint was longer.
Yea me too, love it.
large pro is a don. sick beats.
ijuswannachill is timeless, that 90s vibe through and through. take a sick sample, take some sick drums, and spit.
large pro isnt known for his rhymes, he's no diamond d (the best producer on the mic ;-]) but hes still up there with them..
breaking atoms IS classic. you dont have to press fast forward on that album, just like you dont have to on illmatic or on mecca and the soul brother. ALL the beats are sick. ALL of them. plus you get nas on there too, which makes it even better.
fix up!!
Corny Yikes!!How them drugs where you at kid!! I'm thinking 96 not today, I'm thinking a Large P track, and I'm saying thats Large P nice!! Look man here's a producer/rapper putting it on and the song matched the title chill but no doubt Large Professor can spit not bad. That's his style man and I must say when you hear him on tracks like that you know who it is!!Thanks Dan!!
damn, I missed this argument...haha
I've never really got that excited over "Breaking Atoms". When it dropped, I bought the tape, but it never really excited me. I mean it wasn't bad, but I never viewed it as "Classic". I've just accecpted that is was one of those albums that is perceived as classic by the masses that I don't feel (Black Star is another).
With that being said, I actually like "Ijustwannachill". I bought that maxi single that had "Mad Scientist" on it and thought it was pretty good. I was amped for the album to drop.
Post a Comment