Let's Get Together! Richy Pitch

Nothing worse than going back to work after a nice holiday... today was grim. Still, my new year's eve was a success and I should be back on the blogging tip on the regular now: apologies for the brief hiatus.
Thought I would celebrate a rarity in the form of Richy Pitch's 'Live At Home' EP today. I really can't think of many US/UK collaborations at all, yet alone those that have been a success. I think that this has occured as a result of UK producers wanting to push the talents of MCs on this side of the Atlantic, and I can remember a real resistance to link up with American counterparts in case of 'selling out' the UK scene at one stage in the genre's progression in this country. I think that this attitude is ridiculous: why not celebrate the different elements that trans-Atlantic partners can bring to the table?
I first came across Richy Pitch at a night called 'Scratch' that was running in London during the mid to late '90s. These nights were my first real exposure to proper live hip hop, and I used to feel genuinely excited about attending these events. Artists that I caught included the Scratch Perverts, Bambaataa, Pharoah c. 'Simon Says' and a host of others that esacpe me at this particular moment in time. The night always had a good vibe and it was organised by none other than Pitch. He used to spin the warm-up set and it was always filled with tunes of the moment as well as classic cuts. As far as I am aware this is his only full length release (although still brief at nine tracks) and it is well worthy of your attention.
Released on Seven Heads it features all of the regular members of the label namely J-Live, Mr Complex, Apani B, El Da Sensei and Asheru as well as a couple of instrumental cuts. The EP has a nice laid back Sunday afternoon feel with mellow guitar samples and subtle rim hits that take you on a smooth and enjoyable ride through half an hour of beats. I particularly like the ingenious use of sound effects to replace traditional percussion on a couple of tracks: check the typewriter 'high hat' on 'The Lyricist' in particular. This is by no means a sensational release, but it has an overall feel that is straight up and fun: you can't have it hardcore and in your face all the time (can you?!). I love the cover art as well as it seems to encapsulate this easy going mood, with pictures of Richy Pitch enjoying a nice brew, chatting to mates on the phone, chillin' on the sofa and then hitting the sack. Looks like a pretty good day to me: follow his lead and relax whilst checkin' this EP.
Live At Home



No comments:
Post a Comment