FDB Takes A Well Deserved Break & Some Belated Props
Looks like July is going to be a slow month around this little corner of the internet. I'm off to Paris for a week with school, so unfortunately I'm not going to have a chance to update until Friday: tune in then for more of that goodness that you've come to expect from From Da Bricks. I'm sure you'll make it without me...
Biggie Got The Hype Shit (nah, not that one):
Total - 'Can't You See' feat. Notorious B.I.G.
taken from New Jersey Drive OST (Tommy Boy, 1995)
My mate Geoff (a.k.a. Biggie) rightly pointed out to me on Friday night that I had failed to give him credit for his help with the musical terminology that appeared in the Schifrin post towards the latter end of last month. Geoff's 'Biggie' nickname is derived from Scottish dialect rather than by any reference to one of Brooklyn's finest, but it still feels fitting to acknowledge his contribution with a verse from Christopher Wallace that I know he probably hasn't heard, and which may have passed you by as well. In the wake of Weiss's post over at Floodwatch Music, I've been delving back into a few soundtracks this week, and had forgotten about Biggie's guest spot on Total's 'Can't You See', taken from the New Jersey Drive soundtrack. Despite my penchant for the odd R 'n' B hook in a harder edged rap song, I struggle to make it into more than a minute of this cut because it gets seriously cheesy once Biggie's appearance comes to a close. I could also happily do without the Diddy adlibs as well, but I can't help but enjoy this tune for what it is, and Biggie pulls off his verse with his classic and seemingly effortless sense of style. Thanks for the help Geoff.
I'll catch you in less than a week: take it easy.



5 comments:
How's his name derived from scottish dialect? Just interested...
Loving the site btw.
Peace.
It seems that bigman is an often used term of affection north of the border, or at least amongst Geoffs mates in Fife. Bigman - Biggie: there you have it.
Thanks for the comment,
dan
oh oiu oui....hmmmmmm Dan I don't know about this well deserved holdiay business but I wish you a great trip
ahahhhhhaaaaaaa...
I will look forward to hearing about your romantic nights with beautiful French Women, sipping on
Veuve Clicquot-Ponsardin and eating crepes.
and when you come back I am going to ask you
Yo Dan Love what happened to snails?
:P
All the best Son.
yo man i just ran into your blog looking off jaz's blog, but anyway i saw that you wanted "KRS-One - Get Yo' Self Up [Pete Rock Remix]", just hit me up on all_four_elements@yahoo.com, and i could give it to ya peace
Enjoy the break fella.
Post a Comment