Thursday, December 7, 2006

Who Got Da Props? DJ Sconeboy

Nice to see a few comments coming. It really makes a difference when I see that people have taken the time to post their opinions and it drives me to keep writing, so good lookin' out to those who have done so.

In my haste to write my piece about Buckwild yesterday I forgot to send shouts to my mate Rory who was the source of those beats (see comments posted). In reparation I'm posting a couple of his mixes today that are perfect examples of a local DJ who knows his way around the ones and twos and who also has a deep and varied record collection. It sounds horrendously arrogant but there are very few people who I interact with on a face-to-face basis that share my passion and interest in hip hop: Sconeboy is an exception.

These mixes are right up my alley, featuring classic boom bap cuts alongside a few UK joints that are blended together with taste and subtlety. So often when I listen to a DJ mix I find myself irritated by over the top turntablism that can often come across as self-indulgent and detracts from the selections made. Sconeboy steers clear of this temptation and lets the beats speak for themselves. 'Mix One' features cuts by Blackstar, De La and Craig Mack amongst others and 'Mix Two' begins sweetly with the Ahmad Jamal break featured on 'The World Is Yours' followed by the tune itself. Gotta feel that.

I'll be posting a few more obscure albums over the next few days so keep me bookmarked and check in over the weekend.

DJ Sconeboy Mix 1
DJ Sconeboy Mix 2

8 comments:

rf said...

cheers dan, haha

more links here,
click me

CosmoRetroIntroOutro said...

this sconeboy perfectly understands to create a "gimme more hip hop"-mood. I already have his august mix and enjoy it a lot.

is there a tracklist for these two mixes?

DL said...

Unfortunately no track list: search them out! Thanks for the comment.

alley al said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
alley al said...

yeah rory/sconeboy, we'd love tracklists that we can selcet & copy off your site!! lol
thanks.

btw, where are the 2006 mixes? i'd love to hear what you're mixing these days..

DL said...

cosmoretrointrooutre - check the link provided by Rory for tracklist of Mix 2. Guess I was wrong about the Ahmad Jamal sample on the mix although this is the original source for 'The World Is Yours', turns out to be the 'Visioneers'.

rf said...

nah dan,
visioneers is marc mac's group (he was/is part of 4hero) - they put out an album of instrumental stuff, the tune 'the world is yours' sampled, called 'i love music' (i think) by ahmad jamal being one of them..

they also covered the break used by dilla on 'runnin' too.. dunno if u can pick them up as 7"s anymore but the album is around, i forget what it is called...

if you want tracklists, right click in your internet browser, view page source or something like that, and copy the html.. they are all there.

the only mix i've recorded this year is this one.. pretty obvious hiphop but then it was club night, ha ha..

R.B.S said...

props to the roarest scone in the west country.. soon to be west. leaving our shores for the cold wintery canadian winds.. however everpresent on the www no doubt!