Represent To The Fullest - Q-Tip Beat Series Part III


Nas - 'One Love (Instrumental)'
taken from Illmatic (Columbia, 1994)
[It seems pointless posting up the song with lyrics so here's the instrumental. Can't remember where I came across it exactly, but thanks to whoever may have posted it up in the past.]
Heath Brothers - 'Smilin' Billy Suite Pt. II'
taken from Marchin' On (Strata East, 1975)
Clyde McPhatter - 'Mixed Up Cup'
originally found on Welcome Home (Decca, 1970)
Despite Tip's 'slept on' producer status, there is no denying that he placed himself amongst a elite group of beatmaking individuals when he made a contribution to Illmatic, a record whose magnitude needs little discussion here. 'One Love' is of course a standout amongst standouts and comparisons with other songs on the album are somewhat arbitrary, but it has always been one of the my personal favourites on the LP. I remember watching a 'Making Of Illmatic' video on YouTube in recent times (now deleted unfortunately) where Tip described his vision for the beat as being on some 'ghetto monk type shit', and although this isn't exactly the most eloquent description of the song imaginable, it certainly captures something about the dark, atmospheric vibe of the track that feels fitting. One of Tip's greatest beats deconstructed: here we go.
What I really dig about the Abstract's production style is that he resists the temptation to chop up samples too heavily, thereby keeping the sound fluid and warm. 'One Love' is a case in point, with Tip jacking the first 23 seconds of the Heath Brothers' 'Smilin' Billy Suite Part II' from their 1975 release Marchin' On and doing very little with it beyond the addition of drums and volume changes as the sample is introduced. This introductory section really is masterful, with Mtume Heath's percussion part from the original source gradually building into the mix before its complete introduction after the initial eight bar sequence which brings with it the unveiling of double bass and piano tracks. From here on in there really are very few changes, the different musical elements of the track creating a mystical and hypnotic platform for Nas's musings that simply doesn't require too much fiddling around with. No extra loop at the chorus, no bridge section, only a handful of breakdowns: it's a veritable lesson in measured, instinctive and thoroughly considered hip hop production techniques.
For the drum track Tip turns to Clyde McPhatter's song 'Mixed Up Cup'. Now I'm gonna revoke the ghetto pass here and admit this is a pure internet find which I know very little about and which actually comes off a compilation made of songs that have at some stage been sampled by Tribe (distinctly un-hip hop I know). As a result this is just an excerpt that features the drum break used by Tip on 'One Love'; unfortunately that's all I have to offer you. From my brief research on McPhatter I can tell you that he was a part of the original line up of The Drifters in the early '50s on Atlantic Records, but broke with the group relatively quickly to pursue solo interests. The sounds of the drink being poured during the 'Mixed Up Cup' intro may have seemed harmless enough at the time, but with the knowledge of McPhatter's demise at the age of 39 due to heart, liver and kidney disease after decades of heavy drinking it carries saddening connotations of an addiction that ultimately took him to his grave. Little did he know that two seconds of his music would resonate so heavily amongst an urban subculture called hip hop nearly 25 years after their original commitment to wax: a legacy indeed.
For me there is little doubt that 'One Love' represents one of Tip's finest moments behind the boards, and just as with his contributions to The Infamous, it demonstrates his ability to switch up his production style when the opportunities presented themselves during the most successful and prolific period in his career. If you're still sleepin' on Q-Tip's production stature then let's strip it down to the bare essentials: the man posted a beat on Illmatic. Still need convincing?



4 comments:
Just saw this version on BET by accident a few minutes ago....thought you'd never get to this one..Kudos!!!
Another outstanding dissection, Dan. I remember that YouTube video on the making of Illmatic that you're talking about - it was one of the greatest things I've ever seen.
I might have mentioned this before, but I have a friend who claims that "One Love" is one of the top five greatest hip hop joints ever recorded. It took me years to acknowledge its potency and staying power as a classic, no doubt because of Tip's hand in its creation.
I was gutted when I realised it was gone Flood, would have been the perfect supplement to this post: the evil Google army are in full effect!
Apologies for lack of activity around your spot recently. Things are busy at the moment...
Hope all is good RI way,
Dan
i dig a lot of tips beats, heard hes working on kanyes new album also, cant wait to hear whats hes putting out now.
Post a Comment