Soul Brother Genius? Jazzy Jeff & The Fresh Prince


DJ Jazzy Jeff & The Fresh Prince - Somethin' Like Dis & Code Red
taken from Code Red (Jive, 1993)
With summer now firmly in the air it's no surprise that Jazzy Jeff & The Fresh Prince's classic jam 'Summertime' is back in rotation. I don't think it matters how hardcore you think you are and how much you may want to distance yourself from some of the fluffiest rap music ever made, 'Summertime' never fails to put a smile on your face and a bop in your head. Although Will Smith's mic abilities are undoubtedly limited, the bottom line is that I know every word to this song (I know you do too) and like it or not, that means something. Anyway, as a result of me getting back into this track and my continuing quest for everything Pete Rock related I found myself listening to the Philadelphia duo's fifth and final release 'Code Red' this week with the specific goal of seeing whether 'Somethin' Like Dis' and 'Code Red' would offer an always welcome dose of Chocolate Boy Wonder genius. Begrudgingly, I'm not sure if this is exactly what I found.
It's clear that with this release Jazzy Jeff & The Fresh Prince were hoping to access a slightly more street level audience, hence the inclusion of some Pete Rock production and a harder look to the pair on the album artwork (looks like Will's already imagining himself in Hollywood here). This is also reflected in Smith's vocal delivery which attempts to sound a little gruffer than in previous works, but his success is limited despite the odd moments where he displays some slightly more advanced, albeit entirely derivative, technical ability. The upshot of this is that however good the Pete Rock production may be, these two tracks were always going to suffer from a below par vocal performance.
So what about the beats? Well, 'Somethin' Like Dis' is by no means diabolical, but it is probably one of the most lackluster Pete Rock compositions that I have heard. Of course, it is important to remember that this was an album aimed at a commercial market and so there would have been an expectation for work that would be accessible for a mainstream audience, but this track has little bite despite some trademark touches. The guitar loop that runs throughout the track is pleasant enough and you still get some horns but this beat lacks immediacy and is probably something that the Soul Brother rolled out in an evening. It's not terrible, but it's far from Rock's best work. Really far.
'Code Red' is better and is somewhat reminiscent of the certified classic 'The Creator' in terms of tempo and the pattern of the drums. Of course, it's nowhere near as good, but it does have a gratifying uptempo vibe and the bass rumbles just enough to keep you engaged. A testament to the strength of the beat is that Will almost manages to sound alright here, and he does his best to appeal to a hip hop audience by referencing Main Source's 'Looking At The Front Door' and Snoop's famous 'bow wow wow...' refrain. This is definitely the better of the two Pete Rock contributions to this album and although it also suffers from a lack of punch it is an enjoyable, if somewhat uninspiring, addition to his extensive catalogue.
Basically my analysis of these tracks comes down to one simple fact: I want to love everything that Pete Rock has produced. I feel like I've mentioned him loads recently here at FDB, and I am conscious of the risk of this here blog turning into a Pete Rock appreciation society if I'm not careful, but such is my love for all things Soul Brother. If these tracks weren't produced by the man in question then they would probably have passed me by without a bat of an eye, but since they are, they'll receive some rotation from me. If our approach to music was entirely objective then the world would be a pretty dull place, and with 'Code Red' and 'Somethin' Like Dis' my subjectivity steps up and lands a sucker punch square in the face of objectivity, only to then spit on its trembling and pathetic form once it hits the deck: sue me.
The Amen Break
The Winstons - Amen Brother (Metromedia, 1969)
As you will know if you've been tuning in this week I have a newfound obsession with breaks that is actually in danger of taking over my life. Whilst 'digging' on the net I stumbled across this short documentary that covers The Winstons' classic break from '69 that is not only one of the most heavily used in modern music, but also the foundation of a whole genre: the Amen break is the backbone of Drum 'n' Bass. This clip gives a nice overview of its usage as well as discussing the cultural implications of sampling and is well worth a watch despite the narrator's somewhat dull voice and the lack of any visual interest. Check it out and pay homage to one the the most important six seconds in modern music:



2 comments:
Dan - whenever you're ready to start that Pete Rock Appreciation Society, count me in.
The Fresh Prince songs were always somewhere floating in the background for me. I was aware they existed, and I even liked a couple of them, but I usually paid them no mind. That's probably why your post about Pete Rock production on Code Red surprised the hell out of me. Great post as always, sorry I haven't commented as often, but be sure to check out my site when you can! Thanks for the support!
Post a Comment